DODGE RAM FORUM banner

*Nothing* works unless the key is on!

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  WildBill541 
#1 ·
I haven't posted much here, but I have almost 200 posts at 'another' Dodge forum. I can't find what I am looking for, so I figured I'd try you guys.

I have a weird issue with the electrics. Unless the key is on, NOTHING works:

• Headlights or parking lights
  • Horn
  • Dome lights
  • Key fob and power locks
As soon as I turn the key (without starting), truck 'comes to life' and everything works as normal. Shut the key off, everything dies, except the overhead console which struggles to live for about 3 seconds, then it too goes dark.

I have removed and completely disassembled my fuse block under the hood, I noticed one corroded trace, but it goes INTO the board and I can't jump it; I don't know where it goes.

ALL of the fuses are good, not blown.

I didn't test any of the relays, not quite sure how I would do that.

I have replaced my ignition switch; someone mentioned that may be the issue (didn't help).

New fuse blocks are $500 :Wow1:

Anyone have any suggestions?

See less See more
#8 ·
I have 2005 diesel 3500 and I had the exact issue. I just found the issue was cause by a broken wire under the fuse box(Integrated power module). It was the power wire that runs from the IOD fuse(#51) to the cluster. The wire is grey with a red strip and it comes out of connector C1 under the IPM. C1 is the lefthand aft connector. The wire is 3rd in from the left on the aft row of the C1 connector. My wire was chaffed through because the silver metal part on the L/H side of the IPM was contacting the wire bundle. Spliced the wire back together and everything is alive and well again. I hope this helps.