DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2014 2500 Cummins exhaust has soot!!

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Iqudayo 
#1 ·
I drove a new 2013 6.7 Cummins megacab 4 months ( August through December) and 6500 miles and the exhaust was just like new. Nothing and I mean nothing in the exhaust. Talked with a guy today, saw his 8 month old 2013 3500 exhaust looked like new too. My 2014 was built about Thanksgiving, picked up December 27th(ISG buy back delays) and with 4000 miles has soot, is black. DEF level is good - I refilled it about 2800 miles at half full, gets about 18 mpg. I've had it to the dealer twice complaining about engine vibrations but they find nothing. Would you 6.7 Cummins folks check your exhausts - 2013 and 2014 and chime in if there is any soot or clean. I bet they are all like new. I traded my 2011 for this megacab and it did have soot, but I thought this DEF prevented all this. Thanks.

#2 ·
I have no specific Ram diesel knowledge, but soot in the tailpipe on a clean diesel vehicle typically indicates a bad particulate filter. If normal pressure differentials and temps remain within spec, this won't trigger a check engine light. The problem is convincing your dealer that a problem exists when the computer tells them otherwise.

Keep us posted!

#3 ·
wish the moderator hadn't moved this! It IS specific to the 2014, that I paid 66k for and waited since july for their buy back and picked up Dec 27th!! Just let us post where we think someone will read and reply! But you are right, getting this dealer interested will be impossible. I use the TORQUE Engine management Diagnostics and tools through their OBDII connection ( runs through my phone) and it shows:
MID:$03 TID:$cf
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 3
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$03 TID:$d0
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 3
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$0f TID:$f9
- O2 Bank 4 Sensor 3
Max: 4,096 Min: 7,464
Test result value: 1,608
FAIL
----
As I've searched there are 2 banks. One person says bank 1 has 2 sensors and another says 3 while bank 2 has 2. And of course I have no idea, where does their bank 4 come from?! Could be their software looking at something not there. All I know is these DEF machines are clean - and my new one isn't! THANKS for looking and a reply.

#4 ·
ok to clarify on this bank is in relation to the engine 'sides' a straight six has one bank, a v engine has 2 banks. Bank 1 is where #1 cylinder is located. Your scan tool is generic and cant display/translate the data properly. There are 4 exhaust temp sensors on the system. If there is soot on the tailpipe then as mentioned earlier the dpf has failed. Any recent fuel issues? bad fuel or contaminated? Does the truck idle alot?? only time I have seen a dpf fail without codes is due to high idle hours causing the egr valve to stick open enough that the engine overfuels to compensate. In your evic it will show idle and drive hours, on my 13 1/2 tonne i had 15 idle hours and 200 drive hours. Take your idle hours and multiply by 80 and that will give you the equivalent kms you have put on your engine at idle.

#5 ·
To clarify why this thread was moved.... yes it is specific to 2014 seeing as that's the year of your truck, but that's not specific enough. The forum is broken down further simply for organization and to make it easier to find different threads. It wouldn't be very helpful at all if everything for a 2014 including lifting, lowering, wheels/tires, performance, cleaning, body mods, interior mods, etc. were all lumped into one section. It would be a jumbled up mess. Your post is obviously very specific to a Cummins and nothing else. That's why it needs to be in this section.

For the record, many people I know (myself included) browse through the "new post" section of the forum. Meaning we see every single post from every single section. You aren't necessarily getting less views because of the section it is in. This thread has 131 views at this time which isn't bad. Why you aren't getting replies is because most people probably don't have any good information to tell you. They aren't going to give you a reply that won't help you at all.

Anyways, enough of that... here's my reply. The simple answer: take it to the dealership. Obviously there's a problem with the exhaust system on your truck as it shouldn't have any soot in the tailpipe. So as mastertech10 said, the DPF has failed. Honestly I don't know why you're trying to scan and figure this out for yourself when your truck is brand new and still covered by warranty. Take it to the dealership, tell them what's wrong, and make it their headache to fix not yours. That's the whole point of warranty. If you're having issues with the dealer you've been working with, try a different one.

#6 ·
Dam he's the man I agree with him.
For the record all these newer trucks do not make to much soot I have a full delete and very rarely blow any smoke. even if I get silly with her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.