View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes.....a new day! The sun is shining, the wind is at bay and my truck has that glorious layer of 'night dust' masking that blinding reflection of a clean truck.

Time to fit the Volant air box
Before we do that, just want to see how the filter fits......YUP.....here we go again!

As you can see in this pic, I got the filter on the flange after a few minutes of struggling and muttering a few words of derogatory encouragement. As it turns out, the spacing between the flange mounting bolts is little smaller than the outside of the filter. (red circle) Not by much, but enough to make this process almost impossible unless you can get your hand in from the duct side to 'help' it along.

This was going to be an ongoing issue in the future, so might as well deal with it right now, so decided to replace the factory mounting bolts (red circle) with some 1/4" x 3/4" carriage bolts from the inside, and cap with acorn nuts for nice finish and no sharp edges (blue circle) -

Here are the bolts in place -

And the flange mounted with the new bolts -

Here's the view from the outside. Turned out not to bad. I did use flat washers (same as factory) and spring lock washers under the acorn nuts -

Finally it's time to test fit the air box....and it fits perfect right off the 27th hop! Definitely more challenging to install with the new seal interfering with the A/C pipe, but was worth the effort.

Here's a couple more pix showing the fit -

So (following the directions again.....) I installed the hump hose (which would have been so much easier to install before mounting the air box), but none the less, it's on -

Next came the reducer at the throttle body and the air duct -

Then connected the wire to the IAT, which although a bit tighter than the OEM....it doesn't put any undue strain on the wires -

So I installed the filter element (this went real well) -

and bolted the cover on -

Then I disconnected the IAT and removed the air duct at the TB and air box so I could install the engine cover that I forgot to install in my excitement to get this project completed... LOL

.....to be continued

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI

Last edited by brad12kx; 10-09-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Add Content