Armed with frustration, a 3/4" hole saw and the realization that the interfering mounting lug was the same size as one of the mounting pins (just shorter), I drilled a warranty voiding hole in my new Volant CAI box -
I then installed grommet #3. (The OEM has 4, so still have a spare...
Note, I have re-installed the grommet in the upper mounting hole as well. What the heck, if it doesn't fit right, at least it won't rattle.
Then an idea to seal the opening to the fender......
Here's what it looks like...doesn't work worth &%$# to seal a tailgate, so maybe it will work for something it was never intended to work on...makes sense to me
So I carefully cleaned the edge of the inlet duct with paint thinner, pealed the back off the sealing strip and wrapped it around. I even carefully cut it to length first (25-1/2"), only to discover it stretches.....a lot! Had to cut 1-5/8" off when I got all the way around.
That's when I discovered that my 'Great Idea' had a flaw (Like that never happened before)
. The ends of the sealing foam would not stay attached for more that....2 seconds. PITA! So out came the trusty pop riveter.....
I'm not worried about the gap in the seal as it is at the bottom out of view, and will sit right on top of the OEM seal so will seal properly anyway.
Now...between taking time to take photos, test fitting a couple of dozen times, researching appropriate names for certain pipes and wires and modding the mod, this 20 minute CAI mod has lasted til full dark, and I can't see anything properly, so I ripped everything off that was pre-prepared, and put all the OEM stuff back on for the night....
Maybe....just maybe....tomorrow will have this thing sorted out. BTW - for those that have never seen one, this is what the filter element looks like.....up close -
.....to be continued