View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Then I prepped the new Air Makeup Line.
Here is where a description discrepancy showed up between the instructions and what is actually there. The instructions referred to the 45deg fitting, which in my case, was MIA. So I tossed the instructions off to the side, sized up the parts they had sent, and removed the right angle fitting from the pipe. It's not a true right angle, but it's much closer to 90deg than it is to 45deg.

Then I assembled the fitting in the only way that made sense, even though the 2 fitting supplied where radically different diameters, I was able to get them on the supplied hose. The straight fitting (required about 5 low class words to attach to the hose) connects to the hose and previously removed right angle rubber fitting. On the other end, the supplied 90deg fitting slipped on without any indignant words.

I then attached the Make Up line to the engine -

Now following the instructions, I removed 2 of the grommets from the OEM Air box -

They just pop out with a bit of twisting motion -

Then locate the holes on the bottom of the Volant CAI box -

And using a similar twisting motion....and bit more effort, attach them as shown -

These 2 grommets will attach to the studs (red circles) -

Now this is where the whole install took a turn....
I take pride in the fact that I actually do read the instructions, and will attempt to follow them (for the most part), but these instructions suggested I was near completion....It couldn't have been further from the truth. From this point on, I believe any warranty I might have had on this new CAI, is officially VOID. Take note of the Air Box Mounting Frame attachment screw circled in yellow above....

Begin...Modding the Mod!

During the test fit of the box, the first thing I noticed is that the air intake duct did NOT line up with the opening in the fender, so the OEM sealing gasket was not even in the same ZIP code!

What did I do wrong ???

Easy....I believed that when you purchase an expensive premium CAI, that it would fit properly....

I measured the distance from the lower pin to the upper pin in the truck - 6-7/8".
I measured the spacing from the upper and lower reliefs on the CAI box - 6-1/8"
Fast math....11 carry the 5 divided by pie subtract a cup of coffee....That's 3/4 of an inch!!

Brad = NOT IMPRESSED!

So, I removed the grommet from the upper mounting hole (blue circle), test fit again....No Joy.
Under further inspection, I noticed that the mounting screw and it's embossment, were interfering. (red circle). This is the mounting screw I referred to in the pic above.

Here are a few pix that show the 'wonderful' fit. (Blue Arrows)
Also note that there are 2 major annoyances when installing and removing the Volant air box.
Evap pipe from AC - Yellow Arrow
This lonely wire - Red Arrow
Both of these now have names.....which cannot be repeated here without having a bunch of ***.

.....to be continued

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI

Last edited by brad12kx; 10-09-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Add Content