View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a view of the TB -

Now for those that have worked on engines for many years, this next picture is self explanatory....but for those that haven't, I stuffed a 'CLEAN' rag into the TB. This serves 2 function. First, your engine is not really happy about any dirt that gets into it....but for a short time like a CAI install, it's not a big deal. HOWEVER.....If you were to drop something into the TB (like a small socket), and it ended up going past the plate (because you were playing with it), you could end up with it finding it's way to a cylinder when the engine is running....and that would end the proper operation of your engine, and would kill your warranty much faster than a tuner. Odds are with this install that nothing would happen, but old habits die hard, and I will not take the chance for the 20 seconds it took to find a clean rag and stuff it down the hole.

Next, I removed the makeup air hose/line from the air box. Here you can see the coupling hose right beside the spigot it attaches to (Red Circle). This slides of real easy.....cuz it's quite oily inside.

Then grab the air box and lift it straight up and out........to expose the dirt underneath it.

Next I removed the engine cover by lifting up on the front until it 'pops' loose, and pulled forward. Here you can see the 2 rear alignment/mounting holes at the back of the engine (Yellow Oval), and the 2 clip pins near the front (Red Circles).

Next I removed the makeup air hose/pipe/thingy (Red Arrow). At this stage, it is only connected at the drivers side valve cover with a right angle rubber end, right behind the oil filler neck. (Yellow Arrow) It pulls straight up with a bit of resistance, and is likely pretty slimy with oil. This area is covered by the engine cover, so doesn't benefit from a good engine wash unless the cover is removed.

Here is view from a different angle that shows the spigot the right angle rubber end is connected to.

Careful when removing the makeup air pipe/hose/thingy....as it will drip oil. Here is what it looks like removed....and some oil splatter from it on the ground.

Next I removed the IAT from the Intake tube. It was very happy where it was, and did everything (other than call it's lawyer) to resist relocation. With the aid of a fork shaped trim tool, I was able to convince it that reloation is a good thing.

Trim tool in use - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Close up of IAT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - IAT's new home in the CAI
- -

.....to be continued

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI

Last edited by brad12kx; 10-09-2011 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Added Content