View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
aliciahammerich is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering and Braking Problems 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab

I have been having braking and power steering problems on my 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab for about 2 months now. It has been in the shop 4 times with the same problem and nobody can seem to figure it out!

Originally I noticed my PS Pump was humming slightly, a few days later when I applied the brakes it felt as if they weren't working at all then they got really hard to apply, and eventually quickly broke over causing the truck to jerk intensely. Noticed that I had to fill the PS reservoir frequently.

I took it to the first mechanic and they replaced the PS Pump and Hydroboost (for the first time).

For two weeks the truck drove fine, however I noticed it was still leaking PS fluid. The problem came back. I took it back to the same mechanic that repaired it the first time and they expressed that the parts "must have" been bad. The replaced the Hydroboost and PS Pump again. Both parts were NAPA brand.

The truck drove fine for another few weeks although I noticed it was STILL leaking fluid, this time slower and I had to fill the reservoir less frequently.

One day suddenly as I was driving I heard a sound and the steering quickly got tight causing a complete loss in steering and absolutely no brakes. The truck had to be towed, this time to a different mechanic.

This mechanic said the problem was the same, hydroboost and PS Pump. He said the reason it went out was the first mechanic failed to tighten the lines properly causing the pump to blow up. He expressed that I should replace the parts with Dodge brand parts (over 5 times more expensive than the Napa brand parts) and that that would fix the problem.

I got my truck back 3 days ago and $1400 later (bill from this mechanic ALONE) and the problem is STILL there. I've noticed that fluid is leaking, the brakes occasionally "break over" after hard pressure, and there is still a slight humming in the pump.

Has ANYONE had this problem or know what I'm dealing with?? I cannot afford much more work nor time without my truck.

HELP!
Sponsored links