Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: BLUE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
JEFFPARK53 is on a distinguished road

This forum is great and the info shared by all is very helpful. I just picked up a very gently used 2012 RAM 1500 and looks like I am catching the mod bug. I thought at first that I would start simple with a CAI, maybe a ported throttle-body, then go from there, but reading through this forum, I guess it's not as simple as that. Here's what I gather:
-The stock air box is great, so any modification is a risk to swapping out good for negligible or negative difference.
-Just making your engine "inhale" better may not do much because you also need to make the engine "exhale" better. I rarely see anyone who has done a CAI on this forum without also doing something to exhaust.
-It's unclear how much the ECU will automatically adjust to these changes versus a need to be tuned.

My question is, has anyone done a CAI without an exhaust modification and gotten great results? Other advice welcome on a logical "ordering of mods". If you had to do one component at a time, which would you do first, second, third, etc?