View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White and Mineral Gray
Rep:232
Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

The top one is the one I have. The second one will have the receiver coming out below the bumper. You will have to cut the plastic valance for it. I like the top one better because it sits right between the tow hooks and doesn't reduce your clearance or angles.

I use a 10,000 lb Warn with synthetic line. The line pull on the hitch is only 9,000 so you have to be careful. In reality I use the winch more for pulling light cars and trucks out more than for myself. If I go somewhere and am getting stuck, I am much more likely to put the winch in the rear receiver and back myself out of the situation.

Other uses would include a bike rack if I am pulling a trailer that doesn't accommodate one in the back. I have also used one of those flat hauler racks on one of my old trucks to haul misc gear or deer if the bed was already full with camp gear or the like. When I was doing more agricultural work I used to use the front receiver on my Ranchhand bumper to more easily maneuver trailers in tight places.

Overall I just find that there is a ton of uses so I like having it available for whatever comes along. Plus by using that method to mount the winch, I can take it off and get it out of the elements when I want.

Also, yes I installed it myself. Took about 20 minutes. All you do is take off the eight bolts for the tow hooks. The hitch goes on, tow hooks go back over the hitch and you use the bolts supplied with the hitch. Works best if you take the grill off to make it easy to reach the nuts on the back side of the bumper.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
My first Dodge photo thread

Last edited by Cowboy Medic; 06-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.