View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White and Mineral Gray
Rep:232
Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

The green one was a short box and a Hemi. There was nothing wrong with it at all, but the wife and I have decided we are going to buy a bunk house fifth wheel sometime soon. We have three young kids and would like to be able to take them around on some nice trips. We are talking Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Boundary Waters in Minnesota, Omaha Zoo, and several other places. Just about every fifth wheel we looked at that had all the features we wanted was pushing into the 30 foot length and was at or near the weight I wanted to trust with the 2500 Hemi. Plus the diesel will get significantly better fuel milage for those longer trips with that heavy of a load. If we were just looking at local runs up into the hills I would have been fine with the green one but for these longer trips we want to take, I just decided to bite the bullet and move up.

Additionally there were some really good deals on the 2012's with the rebates, I own a business so there was some additional incentives there. I wind up barely going up each month in payments and only extending one year out. If I waited I would have lost depreciation and had more to make up later.

Also, as much as the 13's are bringing in some nice things, I really had a personal preference for the interiors and the stereo's and everything in the 12's. My Lockpick and video screens transfer straight over so no extra money to keep the kids happy on long trips, etc. It just made a lot of sense for me financially to go ahead and snag a '12 before they were all off the lots.

If I could have afforded to keep both trucks I would have. The green one was a ton of fun to drive especially around town for short trips, running through the forest trails and what not. The diesel though is a true pulling machine and even more important to me, is the exhaust brake for going down hills with a load. I really like that most people's brakes are my backup plan with a setup like this. I had an exhaust brake on my old truck. In nearly two hundred thousand miles I only went through two sets of brake pads and never had to have the drums or rotors messed with.

I have towed a lot of trailers over the years and I was very impressed with the power of the Hemi for the loads I did haul with it. It essentially just came down to a truck that could do the job versus a truck that could do the job very comfortably. I give up some of the around town ease of the short box and the Hemi, but like I say, I drove my old one ton for 11 years so obviously I am used to running around in a big truck anyways.

Finally was the nostalgia, my dad and I really got into the Cummins powered trucks when he bought a 1992 D250 with the Cummins. The '99 I had was the last one he bought before he died and I got it from my Mom shortly after. Any time I was missing him, I would climb up behind that diesel and we could take a run together and remember the good times. I just wasn't feeling complete without the diesel in my stable. Having it back just a few days, I feel like I have him riding with me again and that is worth all the costs associated with it.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
My first Dodge photo thread