DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.9 Liter V6 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Preformance chip/Programmer? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87966)

JACKED UP DODGE 07-25-2011 05:37 AM

Preformance chip/Programmer?

Hey guys I have a 2000 dodge ram with a 3.9L V6 with a K&N air intake,custom exaust,2"lift in front and a 3.5"lift in rear and rolling on 285/75/R16 Procomps.And I want to put a Preformance chip or Programer in my truck just not sure which brand to go with.I just want a Preformance chip or programmer to add a little more pep to my V6:Racing:.I herd the JET Preformance chips or programmers whatever they are.was the way to go?:4-dontknow:Any advice would be gladly apprechiated.Thanks!:smiley_thumbs_up:

RedRam10 07-27-2011 06:57 PM

Hi, I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top!

Hemi1536 08-02-2011 10:44 AM

I had one on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it did NOTHING for performance and my gas mileage was actually worse! I took it off after about a year and it's collecting dust in my garage. Personally I would not recommend one.

JACKED UP DODGE 08-14-2011 05:14 PM

Ya Ive been asking arround at local preformace shops and they dont reccomend em either.they said they dont really do anything.I just wanted to ask on here just to see.Thanks.im glad I never bought one.seems like there just a waist of money.

moparmanicac 09-02-2011 03:26 PM

stay away from chips programmers on the other hand do wonders. look at companies like superchips,diablo,bully dog etc.

snrusnak 09-02-2011 03:50 PM

^agree, chips trick the computer's sensors and don't do good things for the engine. Programmers are just that, they change the programming and like he said do wonders. I don't know if there are any programmers for the v6 though.

strang3majik 09-02-2011 04:32 PM

I've heard stories of them working and them not.

I have a Jet chip I got from someone with a 5.9L 4wd Ram, and he said it made a big difference, did hurt mileage, but, made it shift firmer, run stronger, etc. But, when I put it on my truck, I noticed nothing...gas mileage was the same, etc. Than again, the truck I had was an SS/T and the computer was already different from the factory, so...that could've had something to do with it.

As far as the v6s...I have no idea...haha.

snrusnak 09-02-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

I have a Jet chip I got from someone with a 5.9L 4wd Ram, and he said it made a big difference, did hurt mileage, but, made it shift firmer, run stronger, etc. But, when I put it on my truck, I noticed nothing...gas mileage was the same, etc. Than again, the truck I had was an SS/T and the computer was already different from the factory, so...that could've had something to do with it.
I think alot of people just want to justify their money spent. All the chips do is trick sensors, just like the "powerwire" tricking the IAT sensor. This isn't good, it just screws up the A/F ratio, doesn't help anything.

Dougie91 08-20-2013 06:32 PM

just curious. has anyone found a programmer for the 3.9 yet?

HemiLonestar 08-20-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie91 (Post 1181204)
just curious. has anyone found a programmer for the 3.9 yet?

According to Superchips website, the flashpaq (3815 or 3865) will work for a '98 Ram w/3.9.