DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   '96 Instrument Panel Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=77580)

96ram15004wd 03-19-2011 04:04 PM

'96 Instrument Panel Question

Bought a '96 Ram 1500 4WD about a year ago and I'm just getting around to fixin 'er up.

To make a long story short, a majority of the lights on the instrument panel didn't work, so I bought the bulbs, ripped out the dash, and replaced all of the lights (even the 2 or 3 that were working).

So now, when I put the key 'on', all of the lights light up, except for one; but I don't know whether or not the light applies to my truck or not.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2r39i5y.png

I would like to know what light that is supposed to be.
Is it the low fuel light?

Also, below the main instrument panel, there are two 'sub' instrument panels, one on the left, and one on the right.

The one on the left is '4WD', 'ABS', and 'Low Wash'.
The one on the right is 'Seatbelt?', 'Brake', and 'Upshift?'
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I put the key 'on', ABS and BRAKE light up, but the two other on the right DO NOT light up. When I shift into 4WD, the 4WD light comes on, so that one works. As for low wash, I don't know if that one works yet or not.

I didn't put a bulb into the 'UPSHIFT' one, because my truck is automatic, and there wasn't a bulb when I ripped it out to begin with.

So basically, I want to know what the light is supposed to be on the picture above, if its supposed to light up when the key is 'on', and also if theres anything wrong with my 'sub' instrument panels.

My truck is a '96 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD.

Thanks.

4timerammer 03-19-2011 07:01 PM

The light is for low fuel My light comes on when the overhead display shows aprox. 40 miles to empty

4timerammer 03-19-2011 07:05 PM

All the lights should come on when you turn the key to on for about 3 to 5 seconds then go off. I had a simular problem last year with my lights and the dealer replaced the whole cluster (warrenty) covered the cost.

96ram15004wd 03-20-2011 02:41 PM

So its the low fuel light then.
But, is the low fuel light also supposed to come on when I put the key in the 'on' position?

If so, mine does not, and it's a brand new bulb.
I wouldn't know if the low fuel light works because I havn't had low fuel yet, lol.
About what point on the fuel gauge is the low fuel light supposed to come on?

Thanks for all your help.

DeputyNelson 03-20-2011 02:57 PM

It could possibly be that your truck didn't come with an option for that feature. It's a possibility.

My low fuel light comes on when I get to 1/8th of a tank on the gauge. I can still drive 50 miles before empty. I'd say it's worth a shot to try and drive it until that light activates or the truck goes empty. Make sure you take a couple extra gallons of gas just incase. ;-)

Did you replace your cluster with LED bulbs? If I took the time to tear it apart I know I would! :-D

I see you are also new to the forums. Make sure you stop by and introduce yourself. Pictures of your truck are always appreciated too!

96ram15004wd 03-20-2011 03:40 PM

Thanks.
Does your low fuel light come on when your key is in the 'on' position?

DeputyNelson 03-20-2011 03:52 PM

Gosh, make me run out to my truck and look!!!!

My dash cluster is a different setup than yours. But when I put my key in the ignition it does light up for 2 seconds and shuts off.

I see that your truck is a diesel too so that may be all the more reason I can't be a 100% sure.

5.91500 10-08-2012 09:02 AM

where can i get a new guage cluster for my truck or one that works cause my oil guage n fuel guage only work when they want to and i had everything with the oil pressure and fuel checked out.

its for a 96 ram

obsidian231 10-15-2012 07:23 PM

I'm not positive but i thought that light was "4x4" on mine when it's engaged.