DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   leasing, thinking about buying 2006 mega 77k miles (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72161)

mestude 01-22-2011 05:18 PM

leasing, thinking about buying 2006 mega 77k miles

so i need help from the higher mile guys...i have looked at and driven a 2006 RAM 1500 Mega Cab 4x4, its pretty loaded, clean, drives well...although its got 77000 miles on it. He will let it go for $17,300....he is going to bring it to the service shop that i work at on Monday, so that i can go over it, put it in the air and really ck it out...i drive about about 12000 to 15000 miles a year...my biggest concern is will I have to be worried that i will have any big money repairs with a higher mile ram hemi...i have worked for gm, jaguar, and saab dealers for over 20 years, however i dont know much about "what to watch for" on the dodge ram hemi/trans...

is ad reads " Power Drivers seat and windows and locks, with remote start. Heated side mirrors and auto dimming rear view mirror. DVD system in rear of cab where seats recline and allow for a lot of storage. Replaced font steering linkage and steering dampner due to original not being rated for this vehicle. Toyo Open Country AT Oversized tires on factory rims. Vehicle has been well maintained with Mobil 1 every 5000 miles along with weekly baths and interior cleaning. This is one great truck"

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-22-2011 08:55 PM

Check it over like any other vehicle . The motor and trans seem to be a pretty sound unit . Any maintenance records available ?

Ram15002ndgen 01-22-2011 11:41 PM

Why would you want to buy an 06 for $17K when you can get a new 2011 for just a few bucks more? Depending on how loaded or top of the line this truck is, there are some really great deals on the new ones right now. With all the incentives you can get a nice truck in the mid twenties. Of coarse if you want a $50K truck, then that's a different story.

RootBeer 01-23-2011 12:50 AM

I'd be looking hard at what the dealers have on their lots before going for a high mileage truck.

Go to http://www.ramtrucks.com and click on the Build your own link. It will give you a good idea of what the new ones are selling for. I highly recommend getting 4x4 and 3.92 gears at a minimum. Beyond that, its whatever you want/need.

Also check http://www.kbb.com for values of 2010 and back.

erm 01-23-2011 01:15 AM

Just make sure that 1) there aren't any other lower mileage trucks for the same price in your area, and, 2) get the vehicle checked out. Inspect it.

CajunDodge 01-23-2011 07:31 AM

I agree with what's been said here so far, because for that amount of money, though it may be a great truck, and perhaps it's just me, I wouldn't want to sink that much into what could be someone else's problem, and especially if you're going to go through the trouble of financing, why not just get something newer that has a warranty?

- Cajun

RamTech 01-23-2011 09:17 AM

Since the 1500 Mega is esentially a 2500 with the 4 link front end, pay particular attention to the suspension and steering components. If you can get me the VIN number, I can pull a build sheet on the truck and check for any warranty repairs, open recalls and that sort of thing.

mestude 01-23-2011 10:15 AM

thanks everyone for your thoughts, RamTech i will send the vin tomorrow...as far as buying new and thinking they arent much more than that with incentives and rebates, the 3-4 that i have priced out with different options...puts me at the cheapest $26200 to $28000..that is $9000 to $11000 more than what im looking at now for $17000.. and used 2009-2010 are more than new ones, unless they have 60+k miles> I would love to have a newer one, but sometimes you have to be realistic within your own budget....but i really do appreciate the insight...

rarichard 01-23-2011 12:30 PM

unless you're in a rush, low ball the guy. That's when you find out how much they really want to sell it. I don't know how much he listed it at but you said that he'd let it go for $17,300. Well how bout 14k and a hand shake right now. Otherwise, I think I may just go check out the lots for a new one. There can't be too many people buying that particular truck right now, so let him think after checking it out that you're "just not that into you (r) truck" He can't owe more than that if he bought it new.

mestude 01-23-2011 01:03 PM

a few things about me and this truck....im not in a hurry, i am in a position to find the right truck/jeep...i have also been thinking about a later model wrangler 4dr..just more in MY price range. this 2006 mega cab kbb and nada with mileage values out at about $23-$25000....
i simply have not been able to find a late model ram in my price range...
i have been able to find a couple late model low mileage jeep wranglers in my price range, and have always wanted one. and now might be that time...