DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   MDS (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   When the MDS Functions Per the Engineers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=68181)

RootBeer 12-08-2010 07:20 PM

When the MDS Functions Per the Engineers

Here's more from the Engineers.

Quote:

MDS will function when the engine speed is between 1000 and 3000 rpm, and the engine is hot. Then whenever the torque required to move the vehicle is able to be met with 4 cylinders the engine will switch to MDS mode.
Edit: they added that in order to tell if MDS is on/kicked in the ECO light on the EVIC will show. Therefore, no need for any kind of MDS light.

erm 12-12-2010 08:26 PM

Good info, Brian!

xploded 12-22-2010 01:47 PM

Thanks.

Is an "ECO" light the same as a "Fuel Saver" light? I have an 09 and fuel saver comes on all the time, but I have never seen ECO.

RootBeer 12-22-2010 01:59 PM

Should be the same thing. Easiest way to know for sure is to look at the RPM and whether you're not accelerating but just maintaining speed.

Chili1K 12-22-2010 03:34 PM

Ahh soo much answered.. so the ECO light in the Evic IS on in mds mode. That's the only clue I have when MDS is on. I can't tell from sound or anything. I dont have the growl or groan as some say they hear when its on. I guess Im lucky to not hear it. I do notice when it is on it takes a little bit to kick back into all 8 when I have to do evasive maneuvers.

Good find Brian.

JRI 01-19-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer (Post 377282)
Here's more from the Engineers.

Edit: they added that in order to tell if MDS is on/kicked in the ECO light on the EVIC will show. Therefore, no need for any kind of MDS light.

There have been posts on this that say the ECO light does not always mean the the vehicle is running on 4 cylinders but that you are simply driving in a fuel efficient manner. :doh:

So am I to take this as the latest and official word that the ECO light means that the vehicle is only running 4 cylinders when it is on? :thk:

RootBeer 01-19-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRI (Post 417039)
There have been posts on this that say the ECO light does not always mean the the vehicle is running on 4 cylinders but that you are simply driving in a fuel efficient manner. :doh:

So am I to take this as the latest and official word that the ECO light means that the vehicle is only running 4 cylinders when it is on? :thk:

That's what the engineers said.

chadob69 02-08-2011 05:43 PM

I have never seen any such light. I have an 09 also but have never seen any indication that MDS has kicked in. I have all highway drive to work(about 15 miles) and have never seen it. Is there a way to turn it on and off?

RootBeer 02-10-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadob69 (Post 437268)
I have never seen any such light. I have an 09 also but have never seen any indication that MDS has kicked in. I have all highway drive to work(about 15 miles) and have never seen it. Is there a way to turn it on and off?

If you are driving in D not 5 it will appear at the top of the display centered in your dash above the steering column.

Its not on in this pic, but it would be between the NE and 85F. That is if you have a 1500 1/2 ton.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...otBeer/Odo.jpg

xploded 02-10-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadob69 (Post 437268)

I have learned in a different thread in here that our 09's do not have an ECO light and instead have a "Fuel Saver" light. I have been told they mean the same exact thing. The fuel saver light is also on the EVIC and the light come on at the lower right corner of the EVIC instead of the top center.

If you do not see the fuel saver light ever, I believe you may need a reflash of your ECU at the dealer to remedy that. Search around in here, and you will find threads discussing the new ECU flash.