DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   180 Degree Thermostat (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52854)

RamTex 05-05-2010 02:07 PM

180 Degree Thermostat

Just ordered this i hope it fits. http://estore.websitepros.com/802805...tat/Detail.bok

iRESQu 05-05-2010 02:10 PM

Another piece that I commonly hear is used on the Hemi cars. Let us know what you think! And pics, don't forget the pics...pretty please!

CORUPTWJ 05-05-2010 04:44 PM

I would only suggest this if you are using it on a track only/off road vehicle. Baiscally this will cause your vehicle to run rich because it is not getting up to the correct opperating tempature (computer sees the engine as being too cold). So you are going to see more wear on your engine and lower mpg. I know a lot of people that run cooler temp t-stats in there vehicle, but it is not worth it for me.

09 TRX AGGIE 05-05-2010 05:21 PM

keep us posted on the install. i've done those before and it was a pain in the you know what because it didn't fit.

RadioFlyer 05-06-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORUPTWJ (Post 210094)
I would only suggest this if you are using it on a track only/off road vehicle. Baiscally this will cause your vehicle to run rich because it is not getting up to the correct opperating tempature (computer sees the engine as being too cold). So you are going to see more wear on your engine and lower mpg. I know a lot of people that run cooler temp t-stats in there vehicle, but it is not worth it for me.

I read an article when the Diablo tuner first came out that it was necessary to change the thermostat to a 185 to run the 93 oct tune...not sure why and have asked for opinions but never got any responses....anyone else hear of this?

MotorCityRam 05-07-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORUPTWJ (Post 210094)

Not necessarily true. Just because you run a 180 stat doesn't mean it's only going to run at 180. And even if it did, a/f will be adjusted for via the o2 sensors. The higher temp stat is for emissions purposes. Once you're to 165 you should be fine.

More importantly...$30?! That's insane for a stat!! It should be easily less than $15 and more likely less than $10!

CHVYKLR 05-08-2010 10:58 AM

are the t-stats the same for gen3 and gen4. reason I ask is the local parts shop only listed the stock 203 degree t-stat and it was $26.

TsubaMaster 05-08-2010 11:28 AM

Actaully when you get down to it all t-stats are the same ( unless its some odd ball vehicle). About running rich and low mpg, that is an incorrect statement. It is race proven the lower the temp the better it performs. Look at the 145 to 165 t-stats that say RACE only. Thats what you might be mistaken with. Now on any vehicle with a computer the lowest you want to go, ( unless you live in a climate that doesn't get below 75 degrees) is 180 degree. If you go below that, in the winter your vehicle will not get to operating temps and will throw codes left anf right. So in conclusion 180 t-stat is perfect, I run one in my 02 ram. Oh yeah 30$ is way to damn much...... Summit racing 14$ bro. Yall have a good one.

CdnoilRAM 05-08-2010 08:51 PM

Lowest I'd go is the 180 for the very reason given above, I live in Alberta and it gets COLD here, even with my 180 installed, I still have a cooler cab than my gf likes in winter. No issues with the engine temps and I'm toasty!

RamTex 05-11-2010 05:32 PM

Came in today and put it in, in like 5 mins. Very simple installation only thing that kinda sux is all the antifreeze u gotta buy afterwards. Holds 16 qrts 38 bucks in antifreeze kinda hits yah...i got the premixed stuff btw.