DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram SS/T - Indy (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   1996 Indy Ram and 1997-1998 SS/T Information (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50696)

TenneSST 04-03-2010 10:25 AM

1996 Indy Ram and 1997-1998 SS/T Information

There was a thread started on another Dodge truck forum that has been informative about 1996 Indy Rams and 1997-1998 Ram SS/T pickups. There isn't much information out there about the Indy's or SS/T's. I thought I'd share what I know along with things I learned. Maybe we can figure out a few more things about these trucks.

The only configuration available was a regular cab, shortbed, 2wd. The Indy Rams were built in 1996. It came in blue with white stripes. I assume the Indy Rams were pretty much identical (except color) to the SS/T, which I know more about.

The SS/T was built in 1997 and 1998. They were offered in black, red, and emerald green all with silver stripes and white with blue stripes. I pulled out my window sticker and it says the 1998 SS/T had a 250 horse/345 ft. lb. power rating from the factory. I've been told that the Indy and 1997 SS/T were rated at 245 horsepower. I always understood that all SS/T's and Indy's came with the SLT package minus the parts that were upgraded with the SS/T package. The 5.9 Magnum with the automatic transmission was the only drivetrain offered in an SS/T. I asked about a manual transmission option and was told that the 5.9 Magnum wasn't ever offered with one in any truck. The 1998 SS/T benefited from the 1998 dash and exterior mirror redesign.

According to my window sticker, the SS/T package ($1380 option) included:
-body color front bumper and grill
-rear valance panel
-fog lamps
-275/60R17 Goodyears
-17" x 9" aluminum wheels
-sport tuned exhaust
-tape stripes

Here is my window sticker:
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/P4020322.jpg

Here are a few things I learned from that thread:

Quote:

As far as being an original Indy or SS/T. One way of telling is by looking on the under side of the hood by where the latch is. It will have a 2 color paint code. I don't know what code the SS/T package is but if its a real Indy it will also have the option code AGJ on the same sticker under the hood.
I never knew my truck had two paint codes. I had to go look. I wonder why it has two paint codes since the silver is a decal. Mine doesn't have the AGJ trim code. My 1998 SS/T has a trim code of DPC3. I assume that denotes it being an SS/T.

Quote:

There are 2 paints codes needed for both the Indy & the SST cause you have to match the painted grille to the vinyl strippes that are on the hood, roof & tailgate.

Indy paint codes are
PCH primary, QCH secondary
According to a couple guys, the grill stripes are painted on for the Indy Rams. I looked at my SS/T's grill and the stripes are decals like on the rest of the truck.

My black SS/T's paint codes are PX8 (black) and QA8 (silver). The stripes on a black, emerald, and red SS/T are all silver so I would assume that their secondary paint code would be QA8. I don't know the paint codes on the other colors.

Please post up any information you know or correct me where I'm wrong.

strang3majik 04-03-2010 12:18 PM

One thing we found odd about my dad's Indy truck was a bright red tag with a white number on it on the driver's side frame. I forget what the number was, but, I've never seen that before, and I saw someone else mentioned it on another forum.
Also, though I have never seen it on 3 different trucks, the SS/Ts supposedly had a tag under the carpet that said SS/T right on it. But, as I said, after 3 different trucks, I haven't seen one. So...

But...that window sticker is cool. Exactly what my truck is minus the leather interior.

Cool stuff. If you learn more...let us know.

TenneSST 04-03-2010 01:11 PM

Where under the carpet? You'd think they would have put a certain letter in the VIN to let you know if it is a real Indy or SS/T. I've heard people say that you couldn't get a 360 in a non Indy or SS/T regular cab, shortbed, 2wd. That's not true. I've seen at least two. I'd say that if you had the 360 in your VIN and the two paint codes, it is more than likely a real Indy or SS/T. Of course, somebody could go to the trouble of taking a silver/red two tone 360 truck and fake one. Doing so wouldn't net you much money, so it wouldn't be worth doing.

I didn't want the leather when I got the truck. I was going to order one with cloth. They told me that my truck and the identical white one they had were the last two they could order. Now, I'm glad I got the leather.

Also, I've never seen that 18 mpg that's on the window sticker.

strang3majik 04-03-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenneSST (Post 187737)
Where under the carpet? You'd think they would have put a certain letter in the VIN to let you know if it is a real Indy or SS/T. I've heard people say that you couldn't get a 360 in a non Indy or SS/T regular cab, shortbed, 2wd. That's not true. I've seen at least two. I'd say that if you had the 360 in your VIN and the two paint codes, it is more than likely a real Indy or SS/T. Of course, somebody could go to the trouble of taking a silver/red two tone 360 truck and fake one. Doing so wouldn't net you much money, so it wouldn't be worth doing.

I didn't want the leather when I got the truck. I was going to order one with cloth. They told me that my truck and the identical white one they had were the last two they could order. Now, I'm glad I got the leather.

Also, I've never seen that 18 mpg that's on the window sticker.

Under the carpet beneath the passengers seat right by the jack. There is a tag under there, but, supposedly there is another tag there that says SS/T on it. As I said, I've looked in two SS/Ts and one pace truck and none had this tag.
Also...the wheels are a tell tale sign if its real or not...lol But, then again, I do have 3 sets :p
But, you could def get a 1500 shortbed, 2ws, reg cab ram with a 360. Theres one sitting down the street from me. People are snowbirds and the truck has just been sitting there for about a year. I kinda want it for modification reasons :p

And, I wish mine had the leather. I'm not a big fan of the rainbow colored seat pattern....haha.

And, that 18mpg on that window sticker...yeah, granny must have been working that day...lol

TenneSST 04-03-2010 11:18 PM

Here is some more information:
http://www.440magnum-network.com/inf...am/index.shtml
http://www.440magnum-network.com/inf...st/index.shtml
There is one mistake. The 1998 SS/T had a 250 horsepower rating, not 245. I think the 1997 SS/T and Indy made 245 horsepower.

I've read where 2802 Indy Rams were built. The SS/T's were produced in limited numbers in 1997 and 1998 only with production runs of 3,711 and 2,567 respectively. No breakdown of the number built for each color was kept up with at Chrysler.

strang3majik 04-04-2010 12:23 PM

haha...my dad's not going to be happy that there were less SS/Ts made in 98 than 96 Pace trucks...lol

He keeps using that, saying his truck is more special :p

TenneSST 04-06-2010 07:33 AM

With all the SS/T owners here, I thought this thread would be more popular. Surely there is more information out there than what I've shared here.

98sst 04-07-2010 12:01 AM

I'll add that there was a factory option for fender flares and a matching tonneau cover.

No, the SS/T's do not have the plate under the passenger side, that is strictly Indy rams. The number incase your wondering is "19"

98sst 04-07-2010 12:11 AM

I know that the magnum gas engine has these features. That would apply to us incase your wondering about some features.

-Sequential multipoint fuel injection (SMPI) - Delivers fuel to each cylinder through its own injector for immediate throttle response.
-Progressive-bore throttle body - increases bore diameter and airflow for more horsepower
-Intake manifold - of durable, lightweight aluminum pulls in huge volumes of air.
-High-flow exhaust manifolds - with large cross-sections for maximum exhaust flow characteristics
-Short Stem Valves - so all airflow gets into the combustion chamber quicker.
-Powdered metal rocker arm fulcrums - increase durability
-Extra-thick rocker arm covers with silicone gaskets are held in place by 10 bolts for better sealing.
-Serpantine belt accessory drive -with an automatic tensioner for less maintnenance and reduced engine vibration.
-Heavy-duty spark plug wires - increase conductivity and heat resistance.
-High-flow water pump - for maximum engine cooling
-Piston and ring package - improves power without sacrificing fuel economy
-Timing chain cover - with fluorocarbon elastomer front seal for a tight fit.
-Port and combustion chamber - configurations optimize airflow and fuel mixture for maximum horsepower

itate 05-10-2010 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

No, the SS/T's do not have the plate under the passenger side, that is strictly Indy rams.
My 98 SS/T has two plates under the passenger seat.
The second plate says "Cardinal Automotive SS/T"