DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   2010 TRX4 Confusion... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=171773)

Hotwire 03-26-2014 09:17 PM

2010 TRX4 Confusion...

So, Iv had my Truck for a week. I think its great. But I have some reservations about it, some confusion maybe. There are some oddities that Im not very familiar with, as I come from the VW world and things are for a lack of better words.. More refined.

1) There are vents on the bottom of the center console. Why are they there? NOTHING comes out of them other then a trickle of heat/AC when the fan is set to MAX.

2) Is the TRX4 Naturaly a rough ride, I mean, there is some rumbling going on, but is it from the fact that its a TRX4? or the Hercules Terra Trac AT II Tires causing this rumble?

3) factory HD Front and upgraded rear Diff's? I see no proof of this. And Have been searching the forums all week (I spent HOURS at work researching), and found little to NO hint at this.

4) Lift kits? Id like to level, and bring the truck up 2"-3". IS there a difference between the TRX4 and other 4x4? IS there a fabled spacer? Air bags? WHAT? Hmmm..

Giles24 03-27-2014 03:40 PM

Maybe I can answer a bit and hopefully others can chime in...

1) The vents, haven't paid much attention to them, but from experience in other vehicles there's not much pressure going to these vents. Seems like the last bit of air from the system will come through these as they are at the end of the line. (May even be controlled by the floor setting)

2) Calling it a "rough" ride may be more of an opinion. It's a truck, not a caddy and coming from a German VW, it probably does seem a little more rough. The sound is probably coming from the beefy threaded tires. Still, can't say without actually hearing but more than likely if the truck is still fairly new and in good condition.

3) The TRX/Outdoorsman models have a heavier/stiffer suspension opposed to other 1500 models. HD rear shocks for sure. Some sit ~1" higher than sub models and some don't. These differences could make for a rougher ride.

4) I haven't leveled my Outdoorman yet, but I haven't heard of any issues doing so as many people have. I plan to for sure. If anything, depending on how you plan to level, you may need to change the struts and shocks...maybe someone else with personal insight can finish this off.

Hotwire 03-28-2014 09:16 AM

I would just like to level the ride out, bring the front up about 1.5" so that the truck is even. As for the ride, your most definatly right. Its a truck, but compared to alot of the trucks I drive (Im a soldier, we drive LOTS of trucks) it does ride like a caddy. lol.

seppie10 03-29-2014 09:34 AM

I have a trx4 and have a beautiful rideing truck. I haven't leveled yet but looking at the rancho quick lifts and 35's. I believe the rumbling is coming from your tires as my buddy has those tires on his jeep and they do make noise. Go back to a nicer tire and you wont complain and they are probably load range e too which the tire wont flex much either. I stick with D's on the half tons. Hope this helps

Hotwire 03-29-2014 10:36 AM

Thanks, I get some rumble and some vibration/oscilation at highway speeds. around 110 and 120 kph

Hotwire 03-29-2014 10:50 AM

Im going to get my tires balanced.

seppie10 03-29-2014 02:05 PM

Make sure from dealer that your pinion nut recall is done. My truck pinion nut recall was done and 5 months later I have a rumble and took back to dealer just last week and they said they missed the old nut backed off of the rear and miss aligned the gears hence the noise I was getting. So they had to do the recall all over and install new set of gears and bearings in rear. I just picked it up this morning and all seems much better! Just to bad it took twice to notice that it wasn't my tires as the first time they said it was my tires and I said not but what ya going to do. Finally I took the tech for a ride and he agreed it wasn't the tires. Ok just make sure they go over your pinion nut recall AGAIN. Good luck

fire50 03-30-2014 06:01 PM

As far as leveling, there is a wealth of info in the forums. Bilstein adjustables seem to be the hot ticket for leveling.

psychobilly00 04-02-2014 07:30 AM

I had a levelling kit in mine I had to take it out due to premature cv axle wear and the fact that in 4wd the truck would shake like crazy on take off no matter how slow I went. So after a $250 dollar ready lift and two front cv axles mine is back to stock and I'm happier then ever. I would not recommend this mod

BlackBullet 04-05-2014 05:53 PM

I have mine leveled out and have not had any problems with that.