DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   amateur/ham radio install (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=169330)

joec. 03-04-2014 09:11 PM

amateur/ham radio install

4 Attachment(s)
So i got my new to me 2012 Ram 1500 on Thursday. I stripped all my gear out of my Ford ranger and now planning the reinstall in the Ram This is what I have come up with so far. Both radios will be under the seats. The remote heads will be side by side mounted on the fabbed box in the pictures. The box will be mounted in front of the stationary center seat using the seat mounting bolt as in the picture of me holding it where it will be.. Mic clips are planned to be mounted on either side of the box for that respective radio. So far the plan will work with no extra holes drilled except for the antennas when that time comes. I will post more as I progress along. Just started today so have a bit to go. So what do ya think? sorry about the crappy cell phone pic's, will do better next time

RogerRamJet 03-05-2014 11:02 PM

I think it's pretty kewl, Joe! That's gonna be an awesome set up when you get it done. Definitely keep us up to date on your progress and give us a show and tell when it's done.

DonT 03-06-2014 08:14 AM

I like it and will check in on this thread. Where are you going to mount antennas? I have mine centered on the roof which works great I just hope I don't forget about it and enter a parking garage some time.

joec. 03-06-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonT (Post 1350807)
I like it and will check in on this thread. Where are you going to mount antennas? I have mine centered on the roof which works great I just hope I don't forget about it and enter a parking garage some time.

I plan on these. https://breedlovemounts.com/Stake_pocket_bracket.html One on one side with 2m antenna and the other side with a screwdriver for hf. Trying to do this without any extra holes in the truck. Not the best locations but will have to do. You can get a fold down mount for them which would be handy.

KA1OTE 03-06-2014 08:19 PM

Interesting approach you're taking.. I'll be sure to keep an eye on here to see what your finished product looks like.

As for antenna mounts, I've been considering this setup for whenever I get around to installing my 2M. Yeah, the antenna(s) will ride high, but at least they will be mounted securely and without the need for additional holes to be drilled into my baby.

RogerRamJet 03-06-2014 09:39 PM

Now that's just sweet!

05cr125r 03-06-2014 10:18 PM

cool idea for sure dude...i'll be checking back here for sure

DonT 03-07-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KA1OTE (Post 1351541)
Interesting approach you're taking.. I'll be sure to keep an eye on here to see what your finished product looks like.

As for antenna mounts, I've been considering this setup for whenever I get around to installing my 2M. Yeah, the antenna(s) will ride high, but at least they will be mounted securely and without the need for additional holes to be drilled into my baby.

I wish I found that mount before I put a big hole in my roof.

joec. 03-08-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KA1OTE (Post 1351541)

That will work, you could get a short 2m antenna.

joec. 03-08-2014 03:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK! Fabrication is done and installed ( no wiring or radio bodies yet) now for the radios themselves. It came out pretty good if I say so myself. Had plenty of room for my pr]portable scanner and my mag lite. This will conclude the project for now, waiting on antenna mounts and new 2m antenna. Will have to wait for the hf antenna, spending too much money at one time.