DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   2nd gen headlights (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=157445)

dirtythirty5s 11-03-2013 10:01 AM

2nd gen headlights
 
So I've got a 2001 Sport and I desperately need new headlight housings. Problem is the Sports have seperate hi/lo beams and it seems that every aftermarket housing is single bulb. It seems my only option for replacement is OEM housings but I'd really like black housings. I found a set that looks like they might work though.. The Anzo 111065 black housing projectors because it has the projector low beam and high beam is a regular bulb it looks like. Are they truly plug and play besides the wiring for the LEDs and halo... Like will the projector plug right into the harness? I've heard about resistors so it doesn't burn up the switch or something but they do work? Looking for advice here on anybody who has used these or any other housings you put on your Sports. Thanks

the persuader 11-03-2013 06:49 PM

The projectors require a bulb. If they are the same size bulb (9007/HB1 for lows and 9004/HB1 for highs), then it's just plug and play for the bulbs. If not, you'll have to get adapters. You will still need to wire the halos and LED's into the parking light circuit.

Side note: Don't be surprised if the low beam projectors have less light output than stock. Cheap projectors have horrible optics and light output. You may not even notice it if your stock housings are that bad off.

Also, those housings say "without sport package", if you didn't already see that.

dirtythirty5s 11-03-2013 10:43 PM

Thanks for the reply! I had noticed they said that but figured they'd work since they had a spot for two bulbs. The lenses literally fell off my stockers cause the glue was so brittle. Looks like my only options left are just OEM replacements. I'll probably end up putting some AVS covers on them or something. However I blew a bulb and now my lights are acting up.. When my dash indicator says highs are on the fogs are also on. Not sure whats going on, and my headlights turn on (and stay on) when the switch is on DRL if I hit the multifunction switch. Didnt do that before?

double0ram 12-26-2013 10:40 PM

still looking for HL options for your sport? If you guys are still interested, I'll dig this back up and go through it.

I know somewhere on here I have a ton of info on the non sport vs sport heads, and how to make aftermarket non sport projector heads work on the sport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1236654)
Side note: Don't be surprised if the low beam projectors have less light output than stock. Cheap projectors have horrible optics and light output. You may not even notice it if your stock housings are that bad

side note for your side note ^^^

non sport aftermarket projectors have horrible output because of a split high/low wiring (terrible design/power draw) compaired to factory dual filament bulbs (9004/9007). Yes, those projectors are "cheap", but wire them right and back them right with a nice hid and they'll impress you more than you'll admit.

haha I didn't want to dig into this but I am getting there now... like I said, if there's interest I'll go into detail, might even look for a diagram I have somewhere on here.

Bigred74 12-27-2013 02:38 AM

i got these off of autoanything for cheap and they are much brighter than stock! wouldnt see why you wouldnt be able to wire them up to work with a sport model

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...psox2hrq1l.jpg

Warlock III 12-27-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by double0ram (Post 1277500)
still looking for HL options for your sport? If you guys are still interested, I'll dig this back up and go through it.

I know somewhere on here I have a ton of info on the non sport vs sport heads, and how to make aftermarket non sport projector heads work on the sport.



side note for your side note ^^^

non sport aftermarket projectors have horrible output because of a split high/low wiring (terrible design/power draw) compaired to factory dual filament bulbs (9004/9007). Yes, those projectors are "cheap", but wire them right and back them right with a nice hid and they'll impress you more than you'll admit.

haha I didn't want to dig into this but I am getting there now... like I said, if there's interest I'll go into detail, might even look for a diagram I have somewhere on here.

I'm mad at you Oh oh. You sold the ones I wanted. :wavey:

However, Oh oh's been a member for awhile and he's has experience in this specific topic. (even if he did sell his lights that I wanted) He's pretty apt and familiar with the conversion. Nothing Personal (BR74) but I know the Sport has a slightly different wiring system.

That being said, Oh oh, get out the crib notes!

EDIT: I wasn't implying anything towards you BR74, Just that there is a difference that Oh oh is familiar with. No hard feelings I hope.

Thebestestdrummer 12-27-2013 11:35 PM

try protuninglab.com

Theyre a bit more expensive. But the come stock with HIDs and you can select wiring harnesses that you need.

Lazarus Truck 12-28-2013 09:52 PM

I bought my Anzo lights off of Amazon. They were some of the cheapest of the aftermarkets, but had the black look I wanted. Here's a page for Ram Sport lights.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...&vehicleType=6
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...sL._SL160_.jpgThese are the lights I got for mine. Bright, but very narrow beams. Fine for the country roads where I live.

double0ram 12-29-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Truck (Post 1278854)
I bought my Anzo lights off of Amazon. They were some of the cheapest of the aftermarkets, but had the black look I wanted. Here's a page for Ram Sport lights.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...&vehicleType=6
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...sL._SL160_.jpgThese are the lights I got for mine. Bright, but very narrow beams. Fine for the country roads where I live.

those work great, I had a set with drop in HIDS, really throws out some serious light compaired to stock or just halogen bulbs. ended up using something just like that for a projector retrofit for my old truck.... that's how everyone should upgrade headlights, night and day difference....



AND back on topic, here is a old thread digging into setting up those projector headlights from a non sport to a sport. on the second page, there's a diagram. it was designed for wiring in hids and wiring the high beam to an aux switch, but can easily be adapted to wire directly to the sports high beam, either with plugs or directly hard wiring it in.

took quite some digging DREW but Here's those crib notes

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....+wiring&page=2




I might have more notes tied up somewhere, might do some more digging. if anyone has questions, please ask, I'm a freaking lighting nut

Bigred74 01-05-2014 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 1277675)
I'm mad at you Oh oh. You sold the ones I wanted. :wavey:

However, Oh oh's been a member for awhile and he's has experience in this specific topic. (even if he did sell his lights that I wanted) He's pretty apt and familiar with the conversion. Nothing Personal (BR74) but I know the Sport has a slightly different wiring system.

That being said, Oh oh, get out the crib notes!

EDIT: I wasn't implying anything towards you BR74, Just that there is a difference that Oh oh is familiar with. No hard feelings I hope.

no worries bud :smileup:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger