DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   No Radio; No interior LEDs (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=156975)

Thebestestdrummer 10-28-2013 06:38 PM

No Radio; No interior LEDs

Well this thread includes problems with my radio and interior leds, I'm posting it here because more people view these threads versus the interior LED threads.

I recently installed interior Leds, THREAD HERE, and I thought everything went well, but apparently not!

I was removing the back panel, not sure what its called, the one with the hooks and stuff behind the back seats under the window. Finally removed it and realized my Interior LEDs were off. I'm like "crap, I forgot to turn off my led's and now my batteries probably dead. (It took us a little while to take out this panel...) I go ahead and try to start it anyway and it started just fine. So im like "Well shit." then I noticed my radio wasn't turning on either so once again I'm like "Well, Shit."

I start searching for fuses everywhere and Amongst my many Add-a-Circuts i finally found the culprit, My I.O.D fuse was blown. And Of course i have NO extra fuses anywhere. The next day i venture to O'Reily and buy some of those nifty Smart fuses that glow when they blow. I bout a 2 pack of 10 amps and a 2 pack of 15 amp. I stick the first 10 amp fuse and it blows. i like, "well, shit". I figured even though i never bother unhooking my ground when i play with fuses, that must have been the problem. So i pop the hodd in the parking lot and proceed to unhook the ground.

I stick the fuse in, nothing blows, (obviously, the ground is unhooked.) I connect the ground and look at the fuse, what do you know, its glowing! so that fuse blew too. Then i thought maybe or some reason Im just using too small of a fuse. So I pop one of the 15's in; it blows as well.

So now I'm thinking what the hell is wrong here. So I go into O'Reily again and ask the old grumpy and cranky clerk and tell him what just happened. He quickly and snappily states " You got a direct short" and then continued to not explain what might have caused it, where it could be located or anything useful whatsoever.

So before I start ripping everything out, Could it be one of my led wires came out somewhere? any ideas will help.

Thanks

Canadian Hemi Pride 10-28-2013 07:19 PM

Hm I don't know an exact answer as to why the LED's and radio would be off.. But ya all I can say is to start searching through all your wiring for any loose ends or something that could cause both to go off.. All of your fuses in the fuse panel are good though?

Thebestestdrummer 10-28-2013 07:34 PM

all of them except that I.O.D fuse.

gcscott 10-29-2013 09:34 AM

Well the store clerk is correct, dead short, and he would not know where the problem would be.

(1) I would first disconnect all of your wiring mods. where you tied into the factory wiring or fuse box.

(2) Replace the I.O.D. fuse, with the correct rated fuse and see if it blows.

(3) If the I.O.D. fuse does not blow start connecting 1 circuit at a time to see which one is the problem. If 1 circuit works correctly disconnect it and go on to the next one until you tested all the circuits.

(4) If the fuse blows you found which circuit is your problem and you know where to start looking for the short.

(5) After you fix the short now you can connect each circuit one at a time to see if the I.O.D. fuse does not blow. If the I.O.D. fuse still blows you have to much stuff connect and need to go directly to the battery and start using relays for each circuit that you added.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Thebestestdrummer 10-29-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcscott (Post 1232096)
Well the store clerk is correct, dead short, and he would not know where the problem would be.

(1) I would first disconnect all of your wiring mods. where you tied into the factory wiring or fuse box.

(2) Replace the I.O.D. fuse, with the correct rated fuse and see if it blows.

(3) If the I.O.D. fuse does not blow start connecting 1 circuit at a time to see which one is the problem. If 1 circuit works correctly disconnect it and go on to the next one until you tested all the circuits.

(4) If the fuse blows you found which circuit is your problem and you know where to start looking for the short.

(5) After you fix the short now you can connect each circuit one at a time to see if the I.O.D. fuse does not blow. If the I.O.D. fuse still blows you have to much stuff connect and need to go directly to the battery and start using relays for each circuit that you added.

Hope this helps.

Greg

that was basically the answer I was hoping i wouldn't have to do! haha. looks like ill tear everything out tomorrow!

Canadian Hemi Pride 10-29-2013 11:31 AM

When it comes to wiring problems.. It will never be a simple procedure.. Gonna be a painful step by step.

gcscott 10-29-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer (Post 1232154)
that was basically the answer I was hoping i wouldn't have to do! haha. looks like ill tear everything out tomorrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride (Post 1232210)
When it comes to wiring problems.. It will never be a simple procedure.. Gonna be a painful step by step.

That is why I always use and recommend you use a relay and a fuse for each circuit that you add to your wiring. If the circuit shorts you know where to start looking.

Thebestestdrummer 10-29-2013 10:43 PM

how would I tie a relay into the leds through the dome lights?

gcscott 10-30-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer (Post 1232753)
how would I tie a relay into the leds through the dome lights?

You use the dome light power wire to trigger the relay.

To trigger the relay through terminals 85 (- ground) and 86 (+ dome light) on the relay.

Power from battery through fuse to terminal 30 on relay.

Terminal 87 or 87A to your accessory. Most use terminal 87, but you can use terminal 87A, or you can use both 87 and 87A. Watch the video.

Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vupmb2U-shk

Thebestestdrummer 10-30-2013 12:17 PM

Thank you very much!