DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Swapping my Magnaflow 14" for a Magnaflow 22" today (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155084)

starquestbd22 10-07-2013 10:39 AM

Swapping my Magnaflow 14" for a Magnaflow 22" today

I know there are dozens if not hundreds of threads on here about these mufflers but I thought one more never hurts. My 14" Magnaflow has began to annoy me some as of late. It's pretty quiet at idle and light throttle cruising but it gets pretty loud when you step into it ANY and also sings pretty steadily while cruising at 75-80. I love the tone, it's just a tad too loud. So I'm having it yanked and replaced with a 22" 12588 today. I'll report back with my impressions.

Also, I may throw the 14" SI/DO Maggie in the Classifieds if anyone is interested. It's probably got 7-8K miles on it at most and is in great shape thanks to good ol' Magnaflow stainless steel.

Bully's Performance 10-07-2013 11:01 AM

I run a 22'' on my truck and it has the perfect sound. I think you will be happy with the results.

MangoTangoMofo 10-07-2013 12:19 PM

I originally wanted the 14 until a buddy of mine had one installed (beat me to it) and I'm soooo happy that he did. I went for a drive and thought OMG that drone would drive me nuts! So I installed a 22" and deleted the resonators. I don't have any drone and a nice muscular sound... the best of both worlds.

starquestbd22 10-07-2013 03:53 PM

Just picked it up and drove it home. I didn't get to evaluate much on the three minute drive but it definitely quietened her down. It still has that same deep tone obviously, just much quieter. I'll be able to evaluate it better after some wheel time but so far I am satisfied. The next trip to the in-laws (about 20 minutes down the interstate at 75-80) will tell the tale.

pld 10-07-2013 06:44 PM

I too switched from the 14" but to an 18" Maggie and much better for me but I think when the 18" breaks-in it won't be too much different than the 14":4-dontknow:

Brandon Snyder 10-07-2013 10:39 PM

how much you want for the Maggie?

Brandon Snyder 10-07-2013 10:53 PM

if your interested in selling your 14in i call dibs haha if you would pm me a price i would greatly appreciate it thanks

fastNugly @ BP 10-07-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 1216334)
Just picked it up and drove it home. I didn't get to evaluate much on the three minute drive but it definitely quietened her down. It still has that same deep tone obviously, just much quieter. I'll be able to evaluate it better after some wheel time but so far I am satisfied. The next trip to the in-laws (about 20 minutes down the interstate at 75-80) will tell the tale.

Yea, that drone will be nill which I assume was the problem for you.
I too have the 22" and can't see myself going different.
However, I am adding cutouts for that 'loud' fix...lol

starquestbd22 10-08-2013 12:30 AM

The truck had a Flowmaster 40 on it when I bought it and then I went to the 14" Maggie so it was odd to fire it up and hear quietness, lol.

Brandon, I'll make you a deal man. The Maggie is in great condition. The only thing is that it had been welded on and the shop simply cut it on the exhaust pipe side of the weld if that makes sense. So the weld and a very short piece of pipe is still attached to each end of the muffler. You could weld it on about however you want but the easiest thing would be to use a sawzall and make a clean cut just on the inside of the weld. That should let you slip the short piece of exhaust pipe out of each end of the muffler and it would be ready to slip on and weld just like a new one. I don't remember what part number it is but it's the 5x8x14 3" single inlet/2.5" dual outlet.

So anyway, if you want it you can have it, just pay shipping. I can check on shipping for you but it's not all that big or heavy. I'm gonna guess $20 or so. Just let me know.

Brandon Snyder 10-08-2013 03:20 PM

if you could check shipping that would be great just let me know the total cost please