DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Resonator confusion (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=154031)

Redneck16 09-27-2013 09:42 PM

Resonator confusion

5 Attachment(s)
So I've attached some pictures of my exhaust resonators. They're located in between my headers and my cat. I was just wondering what are the sensors for? There's one before and one after.. I was gonna take it in and get a straight piece of pipe put in when I get my new tips done. Any re-precautions to this? Also when I've seen pictures of other people's resonators they were located between the muffler and the tip, why is that?
Any and all information on this is appreciated, thanks in advance.

jerseymike 09-27-2013 11:25 PM

Im pretty sure those are the cats with the O2 sensors before and after. The reso looks like the one in pic number 4. Maybe someone with that setup will chime in, my 13 is totally different.

Redneck16 09-27-2013 11:34 PM

Really?? I always though that was my cat in pic 4.. see this is why I check on this site lol. Anyone else have any ideas? In pic 4 you can see my aftermarket Magnaflow I installed, sounds good but I want a bit more rumble in idle so I was just gonna cut out the resos.. or the cats.. or both since I dont know which is which haha.

Gecko 09-28-2013 12:01 AM

The ones up front, right after the exhaust manifolds, with the sensors around it, are your cats. Resonators would be further back after your muffler, closer to your tips.

The Magnaflow you installed? is it just the muffler? Or was it a whole cat back system? If it was a whole cat back system you don't have any resonators to remove. If it is just a muffler than you may have resonators to take out.

MegaDodge 09-28-2013 12:48 AM

definitely your catalytic converters.

deekum1627 09-28-2013 02:14 AM

yup like the others said those are your cats

RogerRamJet 09-28-2013 02:47 AM

Cats... no boubt adout it.

Canadian Hemi Pride 09-28-2013 02:33 PM

Yeah thats a cat.. If you still have all the stock piping.. There will be what looks like a mini muffler between your tip and real muffler... Cut that stupid little thing off.

jerseymike 09-28-2013 03:07 PM

Yeah thats what I thought so just cut out your one reso in pic number 4 and put in a piece of straight pipe and ur go to go. I remember reading somewhere on the forum that certain years have that one reso between the cats and the muffler. My resos are way out back by the tips and there are 2.

Redneck16 09-28-2013 03:43 PM

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys I woulda cut my cats out if I didn't check on here, probably woulda failed air emissions test (Even though BC in Canada is scrapping it in a couple years). I was just confused because I always thought the resos were between the muffler and tips not between the cats and muffler (as in my case). Time to cut it out and let this baby purrr.

Gecko, I just had the Magnaflow muffler installed, didn't go for the full cat back system.