DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   HID Compatability Check (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=136504)

89fc619 03-17-2013 02:28 PM

HID Compatability Check

So I have been browsing the forum and google. and all I hear is DO NOT PUT HID's ON YOUR RAM,
I am not sure why there is so many problems, Flickering , one light out etc..

does anyone have and experience with these issues or have a fix. or does anyone know if this problem has been fixed with the 2013 ram 1500 ?

Input welcome:smileup:

Canadian Hemi Pride 03-17-2013 05:22 PM

I have a plug n play set on my 08... daytime running lights are bit messed, so i just leave lows on, and my driver side high beam doesnt swift to halogen. Sometimes when I go from stop to go at a red light or such, My HID's will quickly turn on and off for 1 second.. quick flash... These are all problems I can fix, and the colder it is, the more the flicker will happen.. But I have researched that resistors will fix the flickers, and I have them sitting on my desk waiting for it to warm up outside.

All in all, HID's are alot better lighting then halogens, dont even need high beams.

mrpositraction 03-17-2013 10:12 PM

I am running HIDs in my projectors, no problems here.

**************** 55W kit. No flickering. No lamp out. And when in the projects they help with the High beams too because of the shutter in the projectors. I didn't put them in the High beam bulbs because these bulbs take a moment (10 seconds?) to warm up fully and when the HID's in the projects I really don't think you would notice them in the high beam location anyways, these projectors are awesome with a good bulb installed.

CdnoilRAM 03-17-2013 10:53 PM

The reason so many people have issues is because most buy either a cheap kit or don't research what is needed to make it work properly. The joys of having a canbus system is that there are constant loop checks done, which fluctuates the input voltage and that messes with a lot of ballasts. Then throw in the low-voltage DRL setup and it's a recipe for lots of complaints. If you run a system with a relay and proper resistors/voltage regulators, then you won't have any issues.

gixxerjeff 03-18-2013 03:49 PM

Does this happen also with the driving/fog lights too?

Stump3r 03-19-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxerjeff (Post 1042470)
Does this happen also with the driving/fog lights too?

Nope, the fogs you can literally run any off the shelf system plug them in and away they go.
To add to what's been posted up above you can now get CANBUS ballasts, these have the resistors built in and will eliminate any issues with flickering or bulb out issues. Another option is to buy a quality HID kit then get the error eliminators from DDM tuning, they are inexpensive and work great and as an added bonus they will make the system entirely plug and play, no need for relays and a wiring kit. For us canucks with daytime running lights, if your wanting HID's the only option is to run separate wiring with relays. The 4th gens however run the hi's at low voltage for DRL's. Most don't do their hi's anyway.

gixxerjeff 03-19-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stump3r (Post 1043001)
Nope, the fogs you can literally run any off the shelf system plug them in and away they go.
To add to what's been posted up above you can now get CANBUS ballasts, these have the resistors built in and will eliminate any issues with flickering or bulb out issues. Another option is to buy a quality HID kit then get the error eliminators from DDM tuning, they are inexpensive and work great and as an added bonus they will make the system entirely plug and play, no need for relays and a wiring kit. For us canucks with daytime running lights, if your wanting HID's the only option is to run separate wiring with relays. The 4th gens however run the hi's at low voltage for DRL's. Most don't do their hi's anyway.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

swat 10-03-2013 11:22 PM

Hey I have a 2013 ram sport with the projector low beams. I've been using the canbus generation 3 kit 35 watt 6000k. This has been a nightmare for me!! The ballast and bulbs for the HID kit on the passenger side have burned out on my twice now this summer and i've only had the truck 5 months. Its a good quality kit, canbus 3 no wiring harness and no flickering issues, but they keep burning out. So i dont' know what to do now. This is driving me insane too, i can't stand halogen bulbs, the light they emit are just garage. I can't believe dodge cheaped out on the HID kits for these trucks, the 2013 F-150's have HID kit stock with there projector low beams!! I dont even want to drive this truck at night now with stock halogens!

Any suggestions are help would be great. I bought my kit from Ottawa, Ontario, this is the website.

http://www.jaedarautomotive.com

Monster5601 10-07-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swat (Post 1213995)
Hey I have a 2013 ram sport with the projector low beams. I've been using the canbus generation 3 kit 35 watt 6000k. This has been a nightmare for me!! The ballast and bulbs for the HID kit on the passenger side have burned out on my twice now this summer and i've only had the truck 5 months. Its a good quality kit, canbus 3 no wiring harness and no flickering issues, but they keep burning out. So i dont' know what to do now. This is driving me insane too, i can't stand halogen bulbs, the light they emit are just garage. I can't believe dodge cheaped out on the HID kits for these trucks, the 2013 F-150's have HID kit stock with there projector low beams!! I dont even want to drive this truck at night now with stock halogens!

Any suggestions are help would be great. I bought my kit from Ottawa, Ontario, this is the website.

http://www.jaedarautomotive.com

Could simply be a grounding issue. I ran a wire from each ballast to the battery for grounding. Don't trust the metal around the lamp assemblies, there is some resistance there.

Stusmobile 10-07-2013 06:59 PM

I added 35w HID's to my 13 express recently, totally happy. Reviewed the item here:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153661