DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   What to upgrade while rebuilding my V10 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=121595)

BigClay 09-15-2012 07:31 AM

What to upgrade while rebuilding my V10

I developed a bad knock in my V10, so I have the motor pulled and I am currently having it rebuilt. It was 100% stock before but now that I have it out I am looking for advice on what would be some good modifications that would still keep the motor reliable. It is a dedicated tow rig, so I am looking for modifications to help it tow better.

I am thinking about headers and a cam. What are your thoughts? Recommendations?

ramvan2500 09-15-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigClay (Post 889023)
I developed a bad knock in my V10, so I have the motor pulled and I am currently having it rebuilt. It was 100% stock before but now that I have it out I am looking for advice on what would be some good modifications that would still keep the motor reliable. It is a dedicated tow rig, so I am looking for modifications to help it tow better.

I am thinking about headers and a cam. What are your thoughts? Recommendations?

I would recommend headers without a doubt, I would go for large tube headers and get full length to increase the HP a smidgin. As for a cam, well I could recommend comp cams but even they have very few options for the V10 MAGNUM. Not many companies bothered making performance parts for the V10, the V10 Is kindof a lost cause there aren't many and I just don't understand why there aren't many parts for the V10. Guess it just didn't get the popularity.

snrusnak 09-15-2012 10:34 PM

If you're looking to tow then a cam and headers would help. I'd suggest smaller primary tube headers, not large primary tube headers as smaller tubes will promote better torque at lower rpms. You could do some headwork as well, probably wouldn't go larger on the valves as you might lose some low rpm torque, but some minor porting/polishing will give more torque at all rpms.

ramvan2500 09-15-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 889596)
If you're looking to tow then a cam and headers would help. I'd suggest smaller primary tube headers, not large primary tube headers as smaller tubes will promote better torque at lower rpms. You could do some headwork as well, probably wouldn't go larger on the valves as you might lose some low rpm torque, but some minor porting/polishing will give more torque at all rpms.

I must of missed the fact he is using this for towing, had a rough day today.

Well yes then I too agree, smaller tube headers would be good idea but I think by small would be no smaller than 1-5/8". But even so, the collector is truely what will determine where the torque is being placed but again not as direct and simple. I can say I did design a 318 that pushes about 468 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM and 360HP at I think it was 5000 RPM, but that same motor with a different intake manifold pushes 414 HP at 6000 RPM and 430 ft-lbs at 4500 RPM. so the intake is equally as important. But yes I agree with you smaller headers, thanks for catching me on that. Wouldn't want someone to buy the wrong thing.

Personally I think the V10 puts out decent torque, especially for it's age etc... It could certainly put out alot more torque but I wouldn't even know where to start mainly because I'm unfamiliar with the full blown specs, like if the V10 is much like the V8's then the quench is horrible and we would know well I would know the V10 probably detonates like crazy under high load but that's just an assumption.

DodgeV10 09-17-2012 08:49 AM

I once put headers on my V10. They even had a 1" flange bolted to the block. They still warped and I always had leaks. Until I bolted the factory ones back on. In my opinion they work the best. Something I was thinking of doing to my V10 is putting in Total Ring Seals. Gap-less piston rings. And like ramvan2500 said "Not many companies bothered making performanceparts for the V10" so upgraded parts might be really hard to find. Good luck.

snrusnak 09-17-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

I once put headers on my V10. They even had a 1" flange bolted to the block. They still warped and I always had leaks. Until I bolted the factory ones back on. In my opinion they work the best. Something I was thinking of doing to my V10 is putting in Total Ring Seals. Gap-less piston rings. And like ramvan2500 said "Not many companies bothered making performanceparts for the V10" so upgraded parts might be really hard to find. Good luck.
WOW at this comment...

Swaggerville Ram 09-20-2012 11:29 AM

Intake and exhaust systems are very restrictive on the magnum V10.
IMO, get a decent filter and tube, do some porting in the intake, 1.7 rockers (be aware of stud sizes here as there was changes during production), headers, high flow cats, good exhaust. Hemi fever tune and. 4:10 gears(if you don't have).

I would stay away from head porting except to remove casting flash and stress risers, UNLESS you can afford to:
1) have it professionally done
2) can sonic check areas where your porting
3) can afford to wreck a head or 2

The heads are notoriously thin and porous, that's why I urge caution.

I would resort to cam and porting only if the others are not enough

Swaggerville Ram 09-20-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 889596)

Sean, bigger valves themselves do NOT kill low end torque. Sometimes they improve it. I've never tried that test on these heads but I bet it would improve, based on the rest of the intake equation being so inadequate.

BigClay 10-19-2012 03:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I found a set of JBA headers, and those are going on. I also had a little proting and polishing on the heads done professionally, so hopefully there will be no problems there.

I wanted to do a cam, but my budget started getting tight once I found out I had cracked the block so I had to find a new one.

Also decided to redo the exhaust since I have the headers, I am going with all stainless, with an x-pipe and dual stainless magnaflow mufflers.

I am also thinking of going with a K&N FIPK to help get more air in the motor since I have helped get air out of it.

I am hoping after this rebuild I will have a dependable tow rig for many years to come.

ramvan2500 10-19-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigClay (Post 915468)
Thanks for all the replies. I found a set of JBA headers, and those are going on. I also had a little proting and polishing on the heads done professionally, so hopefully there will be no problems there.

I wanted to do a cam, but my budget started getting tight once I found out I had cracked the block so I had to find a new one.

Also decided to redo the exhaust since I have the headers, I am going with all stainless, with an x-pipe and dual stainless magnaflow mufflers.

I am also thinking of going with a K&N FIPK to help get more air in the motor since I have helped get air out of it.

I am hoping after this rebuild I will have a dependable tow rig for many years to come.

Where was the crack? And do you want the old block? Also as far as a cam, even comp has a limited selection in cams for the V10 magnum. Personally the V8 5.2L magnum can make about 505 naturally aspirated horse power in addition to 478 ft-lbs of torque. So if more companies invested in performance parts for the V10 magnum, imagine what kind of torque you could expect.