DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Short Bed 5th Wheel

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rondora 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 5th wheel hitch for a crew with a 6'4" bed ? I have heard of the slider type but don't know much about 5th wheels to make a educated choice yet.

#2 ·
Yup, there are sliders. Check out http://www.rvnetwork.com its a forum just like this one but for RVer's and the folks over there are real friendly and helpful.

#4 ·
Another "glide" type 5th wheel receiver is called "SuperGlide". I have used them on short boxes. I have had some trouble with their older hitches but they have made improvements over the years; their newer hitches have a better design.

Also, if you are buying/have a newer trailer, the turning radius are becoming much better and in many cases, long beds with traditional fixed hitches/or glides in short beds are no longer required (short bed with a stationary hitch will work fine). If you can avoid a swing hitch I would reccomend it but if not, they are certainly a good alternative and in some cases a must if you want your cab to stay in one piece!!!!

#5 ·
I do have a new 5th wheel moving up from a regular rv trailer that I plan to travel with. What is the disadvantage to using the swing hitch ? I was told that if I had the short box I needed the swing hitch no matter what , don't know if that is fact or not.

#6 ·
The one large disadvantage with a slide hitch receiver is that you will also need an adaptor permamently mounted on the trailer hitch. Once the adapter is mounted, your tralier cannot be towed with any other receiver without buying other hitch adaptors (I am not sure these adaptors fit all hitches - talk to you hitch expert). Thus, if your trailer needs to be towed by another vehicle that is set-up with a receiver different than yours, you are out of luck. In additon, they are more expensive and larger and heavier than a fixed receiver.

Also, like anything with moving parts, there is more that can go wrong. I have a 41' trailer that I tow with a short bed with a fixed hitch, no problems as the front of the trailer easily clears the cab in all directions and circumstances. The trailer is a 2011. The older trailers do not have the turning radius of some of the newer ones.

Good luck.

#9 ·
I have a Pullrite Superglide 18k and I love it. It has been in three different dodge trucks from a 03 to a 10 and have never had to replace or get additional hardware.
The capture plate that goes on the trailer is really easy to remove (1 set screw) and then any normal fifth wheel hitch can hook up to my trailer. The same capture plate has been used on three different trailers.
I built a set of locking rails that I have used to lock the hitch into a fixed non slider and have pulled other fifthwheels with no problems at all.
I love the superglide because there are no handles or pins to pull to move the hitch. You simply turn and the hitch moves.
The only drawback to it is you need to be within 15 degrees of straight to hookup and unhook. In my four years of trailering this has never been a issue you just need to be planning ahead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.