DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rust !!!

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Boubou 
#1 ·
Wife and I went to go for a ride this morning and she says you have rust on your truck ... Yeah right its a new truck . Look ! sure enough , it is on the edge of the box behind the cab . both sides , passenger side the worst . It really shows up as it is a white truck ... Anyone else have this issue with their truck .

Not happy to say the least . do not have 10k on the truck yet :smiledown:

#5 ·
Have you ever clay barred the truck? If you haven't my guess is rail dust and it really shows up on white. The rail dust sticks to the clear and will rust leaving little tiny surface rust spots, almost like freckles for lack of a better word. Nothing a good barring and polish can't fix.

#7 ·
+1

white vehicles and rail dust is super common...im sure that is all it is.

if you need a plan to get rid of it and protect it from coming back let me know.

Jeff

#6 ·
This is disgusting. No new cars should rust! They should come built from factory to withstand the roads of today! I have not taken my new ram out because of the salt. Really effecting life but i cannot see myself dealing with a rust problem on a truck i paid so much money for!

#8 ·
Rust is on an along spot welds . Will try to get a picture ( not that computer savy ) This is not rail dust . This is the only area of the truck affected . ( have done/ worked in automotive paint for 30 plus years )

Dealer has told me to bring it in this spring and they will repair .

#10 ·
+1, WOW that's not good at all! Sure hope your dealer steps up and makes it right.

#12 · (Edited)
I work at a factory. That looks like expulsion from a weld. Leaving some "weld-flash" that was not cleaned-up. Hard to tell from the photos, but are the dimples from the welds "not-flat", and look angled from the surface of the metal? That would be from welder tip misalignment. I program and repair spot welding robots, so I might know a few things about this. If the spot welds look like a half-moon, and not a perfect circle, that is mis-alignment. That can cause a small ridge of weld-expulsion on the "light-side" of the weld. This would also cause poor, to no, adhesion of the priming process to this surface. Pretty much, just trying to paint weld-slag.

#13 ·
He isnt the only one with the rust bleeding through the spot welds my 2010 dodge ram big horn is doing the very same thing as well the dealer has warned me to look out for the rust over the back wheels coming through due to dodge making the panels out of dissimilar metals causing anodic reactions..guess what people we have been duped again.They wll fix the rust if you have less than 60000km/3yrs and if you have extended or the paint protection package maybe longer otherwise you are sol...nice eh?And the rust through on the rear box panels requires a complete box side replacement so obviously they know the problem exists .I believe they should be recalling the trucks for this since its obviously a flaw in their product.

#14 ·
Hey! Got a 2010 Ram as well, same thing. My truck is light greystone. I asked if this was common, and the guy smiled and said yep!
Been twice to the dealer to get it fixed (1 side at the time showed up)
Just noticed more spots, lower this time.
Lucky me, I got the extended warranty for paint/rust protection against my better judgement but hey! it might just payout this time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.