DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HID fog light flickering help!

14K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Maurice303 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just installed hi and lows without having much too much of an issue. I tried installing the fogs which I thought was pretty straight forward and nothing but problems. First I plugged everything in and the left worked perfect but the right started flickering so I figured maybe it was the ballast or the bulb so I switched everything around to test it and the ballast and bulb worked on opposite sides so it is not the bulb or ballast that doesn't work. I tried turning the truck on to see if anything would change and now both fog lights flicker. I know they are plugged in correctly and I have tried reversing polarity with no luck, my guess is its not getting enough power to run both. I really have no clue about HIDs as this is my first time ever installing these. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. This is driving me nuts!

#3 ·
You need a wiring harness for the HID fog lights. The factory wiring does not have enough power to run the ballasts and that is why your lights flicker.

To test the HID lights attach the ballast directly to the battery and you will not get any flicker.

#6 ·
A canbus ballast will work, or you can also install an antiflicker module. I'm running canbus ballasts on my fogs without any issues. Antiflicker modules are inexpensive, check with any of the truck outfitters in your neighborhood that carry lighting.

#10 ·
The 13's they updated the fogs and they are now routed through the canbus loop :smiledown: So it's a canbus ballast, anti flicker modules or a relay harness.

#8 ·
I have had hids in my low and fogs for 3 years you wont fry your TIPM module thats just a dealer being a dusche dealers dont like mods wont you install them and the harness the tpms light will come on for a few secs thats normal but any his place will sell you the harness

#12 ·
Tell me about it....I found out the hard way! The day I installed my HID's in my 13 I couldn't get the fogs to fire for love nor money. I finally got my son to switch the lights on and off while I watched what was happening. Sure enough they would fire, start to flicker then shutdown. Threw in antiflicker module...boom fog lights.

#15 ·
I have DDM 35 watt HID's in my fog lights and only needed a wiring harness to get the lights working in my 2013.

The wiring harness I have goes from the battery to the relay then to both HID ballasts. The factory fog light wiring on both sides goes to the relay to trigger the relay.

The part that you got does it connect directly to the battery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.