DODGE RAM FORUM banner

03 Ram 1500 4.7L 4x4 QC exhaust question

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  endlive 
#1 ·
Trying to help my father in law pick out a muffler for his 03 1500 4.7L QC 4x4... he wants a deep sound and likes the classic "crackle" on decel. That makes me think he would like a Flowmaster original 40 series... Any other suggestions?

What is the stock size and config of these trucks? single in/dual out? 2.5"? I need to know what size to order.

thanks!

#4 ·
I believe a 3" inlet/2.5" outlet is what you would want.

#6 ·
A straight through muffler (magnaflow, dynomax, etc) will give you more of that "crackle" upon decel sound as compared to a chambered muffler (flowmaster, stock, etc). They are also typically quieter at idle/low throttle and only loud upon heavy throttle and higher rpm. Resonance can become an issue though at low rpm/heavy load. But this is true of all free flowing mufflers.

#7 ·
^^^^^^ What Sean said. I don't know right off hand what size the pipes are, but if you're gonna be taking it to a muffler shop, he'll know exactly what you have and what you need.
I got the Magnaflow 14" Duel In/Duel Out and love it. I have the pipes dumping in front of my RR tire. Sounds great cruising and at idle. But when I get in it, gawd, it makes my nipples hard.

#8 ·
Both my 06 4.7 and my 04 Hemi were 3" inlet so I would say it's a safe bet.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm going to be honest, the 4.7 sounds AMAZING with a Spintech SUV muffler. I love it, now I have a hemi and I truly miss the sound of the 4.7 with a spintech. It has the cackle you are talking about, a very very nice one, oh man I miss it. And it has a good classic sound without the "muffled" sound that mufflers like Magnaflow have. Flowmasters have a lot more cackle than the Magnaflows, the tinny cackle is an effect of a welded muffler for the most part.

But really, spintech all the way on the 4.7.

#13 · (Edited)
Here's my spintech on my 4.7, this was the 3" SI/SO SUV series muffler. Drone was practically non-existent in the cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyd1Asw8eE

Here's a Thrush chambered muffler 2.5" SI/SO (like flowmaster) on the same truck, 2.5" SI/SO 4.7 engine Also didn't have much drone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfXnl2YGpEU

And, just so you can see that the 4.7 sounds way better than the Hemi, here is the Spintech 3" SI/SO SUV muffler on my hemi engine some time after the swap, before I went to a borla. The spintech muffler is for sale by the way lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce9-PK6uo5g

#15 ·
^you have a hemi in your dakota, that's awesome :)

The 4.7L does sound great. I put an aftermarket y pipe on my ram 4.7L and a 14" straight through muffler (no name brand) and it sounds amazing. I have just very slight drone at 70mph+. Here's a video from my cell phone(doesn't really pick up the full sound). It's actually significantly louder in person.

Thanksgiving weekend I'm redoing my whole exhaust. I'm getting rid of the cats, and swapping a 22" magnaflow muffler(y pipe inside), and it will all be SS and mandrel bent. It's all mandrel currently, but not all SS. I don't mind how loud my current setup is but I drive A LOT so even though the highway drone is minimal and not really an issue, it really can suck on those long drives where you have a headache or are hung over or whatever you know lol. I knew my truck was loud but didn't really understand until the wife and I switched vehicles one day and I heard the truck drive off, I honestly felt bad for my neighbors at that moment lol.

#16 ·
^you have a hemi in your dakota, that's awesome :)

The 4.7L does sound great. I put an aftermarket y pipe on my ram 4.7L and a 14" straight through muffler (no name brand) and it sounds amazing. I have just very slight drone at 70mph+. Here's a video from my cell phone(doesn't really pick up the full sound). It's actually significantly louder in person.

Thanksgiving weekend I'm redoing my whole exhaust. I'm getting rid of the cats, and swapping a 22" magnaflow muffler(y pipe inside), and it will all be SS and mandrel bent. It's all mandrel currently, but not all SS. I don't mind how loud my current setup is but I drive A LOT so even though the highway drone is minimal and not really an issue, it really can suck on those long drives where you have a headache or are hung over or whatever you know lol. I knew my truck was loud but didn't really understand until the wife and I switched vehicles one day and I heard the truck drive off, I honestly felt bad for my neighbors at that moment lol.
Great feeling, eh?

Make sure you post up some pics and clips of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.